Happy Father's Day!


Happy Father's Day to (my own Dad) and
to all the fathers around the world!

(And old post worth reposting with new header ^!)

A Father's Day tribute to Mr. Bennet



[click images below to enlarge!]

A Father & Daughter heart-to-heart talk...

Mr. Bennet and Elizabeth "Lizzie" Bennet
Mr. Bennet: Lizzie, are you out of your senses? I thought you hated the man.
Elizabeth Bennet: No, Papa.
Mr. Bennet: He's rich, to be sure, and you will have more fine carriages than Jane. But will that make you happy?
Elizabeth Bennet: Have you no objection other than your belief in my indifference?
Mr. Bennet: None at all. We all know him to be a proud, unpleasant sort of fellow... but that would be nothing if you really liked him.
Elizabeth Bennet: I do like him.
Mr. Bennet: Well...
Elizabeth Bennet: I love him.
Elizabeth Bennet: [about Mr. Darcy] He is not proud. I was wrong, I was entirely wrong about him. You don't know him, Papa. If I told you what he's really like, what he's done.
Mr. Bennet: What has he done?
Elizabeth Bennet: He's been a fool about so many things, about Jane, and others... but then, so have I. You see, he and I are so similar.
[starts laughing helplessly]
Elizabeth Bennet: We've been nonsensical! Papa, I...
Mr. Bennet: [also starts laughing, softly] You really do love him, don't you?
Elizabeth Bennet: Very much.
Mr. Bennet: I cannot believe that anyone can deserve you... but it appears I am overruled. So, I heartily give my consent.Mr. Bennet: I could not have parted with you, my Lizzie, to anyone less worthy.
Elizabeth Bennet: [kissing and hugging him] Thank you.
More Mr. Bennet and Lizzie...

Though Mr. Bennet probably loves all his 5 daughters, in P&P movie (and in the original novel as well as other P&P film/tv versions), it seems he and his 2nd eldest daughter, Lizzie have a special bond and he considers her as his favorite daughter...

Here's a text from Chapter 1 in the original Pride and Prejudice novel where Mr. Bennet favors Lizzie more than his other daughters, while Mrs. Bennet favors Jane and Lydia over Lizzie, lol...

"You are over-scrupulous, surely. I dare say Mr. Bingley will
be very glad to see you; and I will send a few lines by you to
assure him of my hearty consent to his marrying whichever he
chooses of the girls; though I must throw in a good word for
my little Lizzy." - Mr. Bennet
"I desire you will do no such thing. Lizzy is not a bit better than the others; and I am sure she is not half so handsome as Jane, nor half so good-humoured as Lydia. But you are always giving her the preference." - Mrs. Bennet
"They have none of them much to recommend them," replied he;
"they are all silly and ignorant like other girls; but Lizzy
has something more of quickness than her sisters." - Mr. Bennet

From the 2005 movie...

Mr. Bennet: Your mother insists on you marrying Mr. Collins...
Mrs. Bennet: Yes! Or I'll never see her again!
Mr. Bennet: Well, Lizzie, from this day henceforth it seems you must be a stranger to one of your parents...
Mrs. Bennet: Who will maintain you when your father's gone?
Mr. Bennet: Your mother will never see you again if you do not marry Mr. Collins... and I will never see you again if you do.
Mrs. Bennet: Mr. Bennet!
Elizabeth Bennet: Thank you, Papa.


Watch Mr. Bennet "Insist Upon Marrying" clip with Lizzie and Mrs. Bennet below...



(source: )

Other random Quotes from Mr. Bennet...

Mr. Bennet: Poor Jane. Still, a girl likes to be crossed in love now and then. It gives her something to think of... and a sort of distinction amongst her companions.

Mr. Bennet: [upon finding a very upset Mary] Mary, my dear Mary.
[hugs her]
Mr. Bennet: Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.
Mary Bennet: [sobbing] I've been practicing all week.
Mr. Bennet: I know, my dear.
Mary Bennet: [sobbing] I hate balls!
Mr. Bennet: If any young men come for Mary or Kitty, for heaven's sake, send them in. I'm quite at my leisure.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Rosamund Pike!

Top 10 Favorite Pride & Prejudice Movie Quotes

P&P Movie Script